Thursday, September 28, 2006

Open Letter to Komen

(open, meaning I sent it to every newspaper, Tv station and journalist with an email address).

**************************************************************************
September 28, 2006

CERTIFIED MAIL-RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED
REGULAR U.S. MAIL
AND EMAIL
Ms. Ann Beytagh
Associate General Counsel
The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
50505 LBJ Freeway, Suite 250
Dallas, Texas 75244

Re: Cards for a Cure

Dear Ms. Beytagh:

We are in receipt of your letter dated June 21, 2006, a copy of which is attached hereto as Attachment A. We admit we thought it was certainly sent in error, as we are both in pursuit of the same end: a cure for cancer. That our path to that end is channeled into the various support systems for the families of sick children, rather than through a Corporation such as yours seemed to us to be inconsequential. We are able to donate 100% of every donated dollar to our charities since we do not have the corporate overhead associated with a large foundation such as Komen. We assumed that the letter was a form letter of sorts, meant to dissuade would-be scam artists from preying upon innocent donors.

We then received an email on September 22, 2006, a copy of which is attached hereto as Attachment B. The email clearly insinuates that if my corporation refuses to bow to the demands of your attorneys, we may be facing a legal action.

As we are sure you are aware, small business owners rarely possess the capital required to fight a protracted legal battle against a giant corporate entity such as Komen. We have consulted multiple attorneys here in Missouri and been advised of the potential costs involved in defending the corporation against a federal trademark infringement suit. It would, of course, bankrupt the business I have spent years building, and would possibly bankrupt my family as well. You are correct when you assumed I would not allow that to happen.

Page 2 of 2


As a prior supporter of your foundation, I am very disappointed in the action you have chosen. Obviously your corporation will no longer be the beneficiary of any donations from my corporation, or from my family.

We will be changing the name of our charitable project as of this date. We expect no further correspondence from your corporation or your attorneys with respect to this issue.

Although my attorneys advised me heavily to not take this personally, I do. I have been an avid supporter of Komen, the American Cancer Society, Alex’s Lemonade Stand and other Cancer-related charities since the death of my brother 23 years ago.

I find it SHAMEFUL that a corporation such as yours uses its influence, not to mention donations, to fund legal maneuverings against someone like me, just a photographer trying her best to give back to a world that she believes is beautiful, even in the face of so much suffering. Perhaps a better way to “help” people “be aware” would be to be “aware” of the pain such things like this cause. I only hope that any other honest people you have harassed into submission won’t decide that their efforts just aren’t worth it.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?